Reading Notes: Epified Mahabharata, Part A

For this week's reading notes, I decided to watch the video which was called Epified: Mahabharata. I decided to watch this because there were some parts of the Mahabharata that were confusing to me, and I thought that the video would help clear it up. For these reading notes, I am going to make bullet points of what I thought would be the most helpful information for my writing. 

  • Many writers have added their own spin to the story. Focusing on these different stories by different authors can help us figure out how to write our own stories. 
  • The Mahabharata was a story of cause and effect relationships. What happened before directly affected what happens next and even what happened before that. 
  • The element of secrets comes into play with all of Shantanu's sons being killed by his sons. This is an important theme, as it serves as a strong motive. 
  • I like how Durga took his son, and then the prince came back years later. This is similar to the Ramayana, where the son comes back as strong as ever. 
  • There is a lot of drama with the hierarchy of the birth order. I think this can serve as a big conflict, especially for this particular era. 
  • Relationships also are important in this story. For example, the king was not happy, even when his love was returned to him. 
  • There are a lot of deaths in this story, and that is a strong theme that starts even at the beginning with the river. 
  • The women are treated more like objects in this story, especially in the case of Amba, where she gets turned away by her husband, where he says she essentially "belongs" to someone else. 
  • I also think it is interesting how they were allowed to have multiple spouses. 
  • Bhishma refuses to get married; this is very different from the other characters. 
  • They are always getting cursed, and I really like the addition of magic in the story. 


Comments

Popular Posts