Introduction to Rylie the Marketing Major

Hello! My name is Rylie, and I am a sophomore Marketing major. I originally was an Economics major, but I decided to switch recently. I wanted to have more of a creative outlet in my major, but still wanted to stick with a business degree, so I thought that Marketing would be a good route to go. I have switched my major a total of five times since I've enrolled at OU, so I'm hoping that I'll actually stick with this one. A fun fact about me is that both my dad and uncle went to OU, and they lived in Couch Tower. 

One of my favorite classes that I took last year was Food and Culture. It was an Honors seminar-style class, and I thought it was interesting because I got to learn about how food is used by different genders, cultures, races, and so on. It honestly taught me a lot about how powerful a tool food can be, which is something that I never would have considered otherwise. It also taught me to think about things in a different way, and not to take many things at face value. 

On a different note, one of my favorite hobbies is watching Netflix. I have seen so many different shows and movies, I could probably find at least one to talk about with anyone. I don't really have a favorite movie or show of all time, as I watch so many that it often changes. Last week, I recently finished The Umbrella Academy, which has become one of my new favorites. It definitely surprised me, and I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for something that's funny and exciting, but has a lot of drama. A few other shows that I watch are Supernatural, Glee, American Horror Story, and That 70s Show.

Some of my other favorite things include spending time with my family, reading, traveling, and writing. The last vacation that I took was last summer when I traveled to Europe. It was such a fun experience, and I can't wait to travel more once the conditions are safer. Additionally, I have four younger siblings, ranging from ages 4-14. There is a big gap between all of us, but it's honestly a lot of fun having so many siblings. I also have four pets. My three dogs are named Bear, Sasha, and Finn, and then I have a cat named Calypso. I spend a lot of time reading as well. I am currently reading a book called Ninth House. I haven't really gotten deep into it, but it's interesting so far. I also love writing stories on my own time, and drink a lot of coffee to match that aesthetic. My favorite types of coffee are a Mochas and Pumpkin Spice Lattes. 



Comments

  1. I hope this class can be a creative outlet for you too, Rylie! In fact, in the spirit of creative marketing, I want to share my favorite Indian PSA: it's an ad for helmet safety... featuring the Indian gods and their rides: What Gods wear before they ride - link... the gods and goddesses of India all have distinct "vahanas" or rides, which is what you see there in the video! vahanas - link ... so, mythology can be good for marketing! And I bet there will also be some great connections between this class and what you learned in your Food and Culture class; keep an eye out for food in the epics and you will see all kinds of things going on; food is a mythological thing too! Plus it's an excuse to eat Indian food for class research purposes. Yummm...... and also to drink chai! masala chai - link :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rylie! I think it is really cool that you write quite often in your spare time. I can really relate to that being that writing works of fiction is my main passion, and my favorite hobby. I actually was initially planning on becoming a marketing major in college as well, but I finally decided right before this semester started to pick a major that more aligned with my passion, so I am now attending to get a degree in professional writing. I think it is excellent you do plenty of reading, it is something I have admittedly been slacking on for years. I think reading works an important part of the brain, since you have to imagine certain events yourself as you read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rylie! It's great to meet you, I LOVE the show The Umbrella Academy. Have you finished the second season yet? I really liked the first season, but they way the creators set up the timeline for the second season was so clever and interesting! I think that the characters are so unique and funny, my favorite is Five and Klaus. The scene where they had to get information from the marble eye manufacturer was hilarious and will forever be one of my favorite scenes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rylie,

    Like your Dad and Uncle, my Aunt stayed in Couch Tower when she went to OU. One of my favorite hobbies is watching Netflix as well, I recommend watching Dexter if you have never seen it. Personally, I tried watching the umbrella academy and could not get into it but I saw they had just come out with a new season so I may give it a go. I like that you drink coffee to match your story writing aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Raylie! I came to your introduction after reading the Goblin story. Reading that you were a marketing major made a lot of sense for me considering the amount of creative thinking it must have took to write that story. Netflix is one of my hobbies as well and The Umbrella Academy and The American Horror Story is definitely some of my top picks. Good luck on your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rylie, Umbrella Academy on Netflix has been on my too watch list for some time now and I hope to get to it over Thanksgiving break! I also particularly enjoy taking classes that teach me about things more than just found in a textbook and that is one of the main reasons I am taking this course! It was nice to read about how you love to travel and how you are close with your family and pets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rylie! I love that you were able to learn not to take things at face value from your food class, that is definitely a takeaway that will serve you well in life. I can relate to when you said your favorite move/show is always changing, because mine is too, probably due to recency bias! Europe is definitely a great place to vacation and I hope you are able to do so in the future when things clear up. Anyways, nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rylie!

    I'm glad you have chosen a degree! It was a tough time for me trying to figure out the best decision to take. The Food and Culture class you mentioned seems fun. I might have to look into that class for an elective. I'm glad you were able to go to Europe. I'm a huge European soccer fan so I'd like to visit one day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rylie, I hope that your major choice of switching to marketing this semester allows you to show your creativity through business and advertising. I also went through a tough decision process when it came to my major, and switched at the beginning of my sophomore year and it was such a relief to feel that I declared the right major for myself and my interests. The Food and Culture class you took sounds so interesting because I am so interested in different culture's way of life. It sounds like your experience from that class gave you a lot of life learning lessons that you will continue to value throughout your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rylie,

    I hope Marketing allows you to express your creative nature in a way you enjoy. I never knew there was a Food and Culture class offered, but it sounds very interesting and fun. Traveling to Europe sounds like a good time. I hope visit Poland and France some day. I also hope to see your dogs and cat in potential stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rylie!
    It's crazy because whenever I was reading through the list of shows that you watch, I love most of them myself! Umbrella Academy was so cool and Supernatural is one of my all time favorites so I think you have great taste in tv shows. I would recommend giving Russian Doll a try. It's nothing like the other two that I've mentioned in this post, but it's still a very interesting and crazy show. Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rylie,

    As someone who is in the Business College, I can understand where you from when it comes to creativity. I feel a lot of business majors aren't really focused on creativity, so I find it nice that you were able to switch to a major that you somewhat passionate about. I didn't know that there was Food and Culture class that was offered at the University. I will definitely look into the class if covid gets cured and in person classes are a thing again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rylie! I read your introduction and saw a coffee cup and I got excited! I have worked at several coffee shops and I just love working with coffee! Those are both great coffee options, and just lovely with this colder weather. Anyways, it is so nice to meet you and I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rylie,
    I am also majoring in Business but in Finance. I am currently a senior and Marketing is a great major. I'm sure it will get pretty tough but anyone who is in Price can do it! I also love watching Netflix, one of my favorite shows is 9-1-1 so if you ever get a chance to watch it, I recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rylie! Let me start off by saying THANK YOU SO MUCH for a new Netflix recommendation. I feel like I have rewatched the same shows so many times because they're easy to have on in the background and I couldn't find anything else that I thought I might want to watch. I bet it's so fun having four younger siblings with such a wide age range. Do you miss them now that you're at college? The food and culture course sounds super interesting and definitely something I would be wanting to look into if I wasn't almost done with my time here at OU. Good luck with your new major!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts