Week 5 Story: Queen Sita's Decision

“Sita, I can promise you that I did not betray you or the kingdom,” Rama said in a pleading voice.

It had been nearly twenty-four hours since Sita was able to find her husband, Rama, who had been trapped by Queen Ravana. Not only had she been looking for him for days, but she had gone through many battles to find him, and she had employed many of her friends and family members to help.

Needless to say that while Rama had been trapped, Sita was uncertain that Rama had stayed true to their relationship, as well as keeping all the kingdom secrets. She knew that Queen Ravana was after the crown, and that she would stop at nothing to get it, even kidnapping Sita’s husband.

Of course, Ravana was out of the picture. Sita just had to deal with the possibility that her husband might have betrayed her, and needless to say, the conversation was not an easy one for her to make.

Rama looked at her as if she had grown three heads when he realized that she did not believe him.

“You can’t seriously believe that I would do that to you or the people,” Rama said sullenly. “I might have been gone for a while, but I promise you, Queen Ravana would never be able to make me betray you.”

“There’s no way of knowing,” Sita said sadly, and she knew it was true. Although she wanted to believe her husband, there would always be that sliver of doubt. She wasn’t sure what to do about it. “I’m the queen. I can’t just let people walk all over me. I have to make sure the people know that I won’t let the betrayal of my own husband interfere with my reign, either.”

“I didn’t betray you!” Rama tried again, hoping to get the message through to his wife. He understood what a difficult position she was in, but he hoped she knew that he didn’t betray her, and wouldn't ever.

“What would you have me do?” she asked desperately. “The people all think that you’re going to turn on us.”

They stared at each other for a few minutes, before Rama suddenly broke. “You wouldn’t banish me, would you?”

Sita let out a heavy sigh, a hint of humor in it. “Of course not, Rama, but we have to figure out a way to prove that you are innocent. I trust you.”

“Then let’s figure it out together.” 

Author's Note: For this week, one of my reading notes were about how I thought it would be interesting to see how Rama and Sita's relationship played out if Sita was the queen and Rama assumed the role that she had for most of the story. I think that Sita wouldn't have banished Rama immediately like he did to her, and she would have tried to help him instead. 



 Source. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Ramayana by Sister Nivedita. 1914.

Comments

  1. Hi Rylie!

    This was a great story to read! At first, I was a little bit confused as to what was going on with the characters in the story, but the more I read, I noticed the changes. I think switching roles was a creative thing to do! I haven't read a story like this yet, so it was definitely interesting. Also, I really like the dialogue as well. You were to able to have the reader capture the character's emotions, so great job! Furthermore, this was a well written story and I look forward to reading more stories from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rylie,

    I like you used a role reversal to tell your story. I wonder how Rama would prove himself to Sita considering how in the Ramayana Sita walked into a fire? I also wonder how their children would be treated by the people of their kingdom, assuming they still had kids afterwards, if Rama were to be exiled? Overall, I think the story is written well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts