Week 4 Lab: Writers Write Notes

For this week, I decided to do a story lab. I thought that this would be interesting because I spend a lot of time writing in my spare time, and I wanted to find some articles that could help me improve my writing. Due to this, I utilized the Writers Write option. Although there were a lot of interesting articles that I would like to look into later, I decided to pick three to write about. 

The first article that I read was called 5 Things to Remember While Writing a Novel. I chose this article because I am writing a novel myself, and I am currently at a part where I am struggling with the plot. Due to classes starting back up again as well, I haven't had as much time to write. This article was helpful because it brought up a lot of useful tips and helped me remember why I love writing. The first tip that I thought was really important was that writing takes time. Although it can be really hard to find time to write, successful writers put in the work and definitely find time to do it. Additionally, it highlighted the importance of editing and knowing your audience. 

The second article that I read was called Your Book: What to Keep and What to Cut. I chose this article for the same reasons listed above, and I thought it was very interesting. Although I read through the section that talks about what to keep, I was honestly more intrigued by figuring out what to cut. I thought that this would be more important since I don't have trouble adding as much as I do subtracting. Some helpful things that it said to cut were too much exposition, unnecessary characters, and scenes that would break your heart to cut if they don't add to the plot. 

The last article that I read was called 10 Mantras to Help You Grow as a Writer. This one was interesting to me because I would love to grow as a writer, and I am a big fan of looking into quotes and mantras. Although I would love to list all of them, I decided to pick two that were my favorites. One of them was to write at least 400 words a day. Although this may seem like a lot, if you are writing about something you care about, it honestly isn't that much at all. The second mantra leads into this, as it was to not write about something that you hate. I don't like forcing myself into getting words on the page, but if you're writing about something you like, that will come naturally. 

What to Write 

Comments

Popular Posts