Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Part D

In this section, I decided to focus on the plot, similar to the rest of my blog posts. There weren't as many character entrances in this part, so I thought that the plot was a bigger part of the story than anything. I also thought that since this was the last part of the story, there weren't as many things happening in the end.

Some of my favorite scenes from this section was the part where Hanuman helped Rama once again and jumped into the battle with Rama and Ravana. Hanuman was one of my favorite characters, and I thought all of the scenes with him were intriguing. Although Ravana was one of the antagonists in the story, I thought his powers were interesting as well. One of the most interesting parts to me was when he used his powers of illusion to try and make Sita despair.

Additionally, this happened again whenever Ravana's son Indrajit tried to make Rama despair. I liked the powers of illusion, and think that this sort of storyline could be interesting to use in future retellings. A lot of the characters wanted to get revenge on one another as well. Ravana is always trying to get to Rama through his family, and therefore attacks Lakshmana. I liked that Lakshmama survived, because I was almost certain that he was going to die. Indra also helps Rama, and he is another one of the characters that I liked. 

After these parts, we near the end. Ravana's death had seemingly been the goal of the gods, which was kind of something that we didn't know. This adds a few ulterior motives to the underlying story. Additionally, the ending was something that I didn't really like. I didn't like that despite Sita being loyal, Rama still decided to banish here. In the end, though, it all resolves itself, and Rama departs this world. Overall, I really liked this story and thought it was extremely interesting!


PDE Ramayana from here. Sources used: M. DuttR. DuttGouldGriffithHodgsonMackenzieNiveditaOmanRichardson, and Ryder.

Comments

Popular Posts