Reading Notes: PDE Mahabharata, Part B

For these reading notes, I decided to focus more on the plot. I feel like this story, while having a lot of characters, is a lot more plot-based. Basically, I decided to write about some of my favorite scenes from the Mahabharata so that I could get some good ideas about how to make good plot points for future stories. 

First, I liked the part where it talked about Bhima and his family getting sent into the words. This was similar to the Ramayana, but instead, it had a bit more action. I'm not sure if it's the writing style that just makes it seem quicker-paced, but I definitely like it more than the Ramayana, as it is easier to stay focused. Additionally, I thought it was entertaining whenever he had to slay the monster and the monster said, "I smell excellent food, and my mouth waters; tonight I will devour warm flesh and drink hot, frothy blood."

Another scene that I thought was interesting was the scene with Kunti and the demon. It was kind of scary that the demon was willing to be her slave, and they ended up getting married, but it made for a different plot point. Like I said in the first reading notes, I feel like relationships are very important in this epic, as there are a lot of them. 

Similarly, the scene with Nalayani was focused on a relationship. She was unsatisfied with the one that she'd been in, and had been "ill-used" by her husband. Therefore, she had pleaded with the gods to give her a husband. Following this is the story of Draupadi, in which she ends up with five husbands, rather than one. 

I am really liking this story so far, and I am looking forward to reading more. One section that I really liked was the part with Tagore's play, so I'm considering reading that later for a different assignment. 

Duryodhana in the Pandavas' palace

Reference. PDE Mahabharata by Arnold, Besant, Devee, Dutt, Ganguli, Kincaid, Macfie, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Seeger, and Tagore., from SOURCE.

Comments

Popular Posts