Reading Notes: Nivedita Ramayana, Part A

What I decided to focus on for this section of the reading notes was the writing style. In the other reading notes on the Ramayana, I mostly paid attention to the plot and characters, since it was all new to me. This week, though, since we are reading the same story, and are already familiar with the characters and plot, I am looking at how this is written differently than the other story. 

The first Ramayana that I read, which was the PDE Ramayana, was very straightforward but a bit more difficult to read. I thought it was nice that there were reading notes at the beginning of every section. They helped me understand what I was reading a little bit more so I wasn't ever confused. Additionally, the audio that went along with it was helpful. It helped me follow along whenever I felt like my mind was straying, and I didn't have as hard of a time paying attention. This Ramayana, the one by Nivedita, doesn't have the reading notes or audiobook, but I feel like it's honestly a bit easier to understand. 

The first thing that I noticed was that the plot was much more condensed, but we still got most--if not all--of the storylines. That was nice because there were a lot of details that probably could have been taken out in the PDE Ramayana. Instead of having a lot of minor details in the Nivedita Ramayana, we have a plot that flows nicely, and it doesn't feel too fluffy. 

Another thing that I liked was that there wasn't really a poetic feel to the story, which made it a bit more easier to read and understand. There was a bit more dialogue, which I liked as I am a big fan of dialogue. I'm not sure if it was the writing style that made it easier, or the fact that I already knew what the story was. In all honesty, I am liking this version a little bit better so far, as it is paced a bit faster but still the sane story.



Source. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Ramayana by Sister Nivedita. 1914.

Comments

Popular Posts